Italian Sausage, Kale, and Fennel Soup
By Ashley English
Today’s recipe using Hickory Nut Gap meats features delicious Italian sausage. This soup couldn’t be easier to make, and also happens to be low-carb, for those looking for such recipes. A satisfying, flavorful, easy peasy soup—meet your new favorite thing.
This recipe is from Ashley of Small Measure!
About sixty minutes
About seventy minutes
- 24 ounces Hickory Nut Gap Italian sausage
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 fennel, bulb and stem, diced
- 1 large bunch kale, cut into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds
- 48 ounces pork stock or chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, plus more to taste
- Grated Parmesan, to garnish
- On medium-high heat, brown crumbled sausage in the olive oil for 10 minutes, until nicely browned and cooked through.
- Remove the sausage from the pan, and drain off excess oil from meat.
- In the oil remaining in the pan, add the chopped onion, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the chopped fennel, and cook for 8 more minutes. Add the kale and fennel seeds, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the stock, sausage, and seasonings, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Taste for salt, and season to taste. Serve with grated Parmesan.