Pasture Raised Pork Tenderloin with Cherry and Dried Fruit Compote
By Ashley English
From Ashley’s latest book, Southern from Scratch.
Check out the latest recipe from Ashley of Small Measure! This delicious recipe for pork tenderloin is from Ashley’s latest book, Southern From Scratch.
About two cups
About thirty minutes
About sixty minutes
- 1 pound thick-cut HNG bacon
- 2 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 1 large onion, diced
- ¼ cup water
- ½ cup bourbon
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons sorghum syrup
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Lay the bacon strips atop wire cooling racks placed on two large, rimmed baking sheets (or on one baking sheet in batches). Bake for 15 minutes and then turn the strips over. Bake for 5-10 minutes longer, until the bacon starts to get just a little crispy around the edges. Remove the pan(s) from the oven and set aside to cool.
- Warm a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the bacon drippings. Once melted, add the onion. Sauté for 15 minutes, until nicely browned around the edges.
- While the onions cook, chop the bacon into small pieces.
- Add the water, bourbon, brown sugar, sorghum, and lemon juice to the pan, stirring to fully combine. Cook for about 10 minutes, until syrupy, and then add the bacon. Cook for 5 more minutes longer, stirring frequently, then remove from the heat.
- Serve immediately, or store in the refrigerator and consume within 7 to 10 days.
Photo credit: Johnny Autry